Thursday, June 18, 2009

Old Forge Brewery, Danville Pennsylvania

On a cool, rainy, Wednesday evening in June I had the opportunity to visit the Old Forge Brewing Company in Danville, Pennsylvania. The Old Forge is a casual brew pub specializing in healthy pub fare and fresh brewed beer. I had visited the pub during the winter and enjoyed it very much. The winter visit was spontaneous, quick and crowded. As I drove to the pub with friends for my second visit, I was determined to appreciate the restaurant a bit more than I did on my first time around.

I always enjoy seeing new development in older neighborhoods. Danville is a cozy, Pennsylvania community with an established downtown district. The main street is clean and well-kept, making it a nice place to visit, walk and enjoy a craft-brewed beer. The folks at the Old Forge take noticeable pride in being a part of the Susquehanna Valley community. According to their website, they "honor personal craftsmanship". For example, the brewery's hand-crafted beer is made in small batches to ensure quality and peak freshness. In addition, the healthy and delicious menu has ingredients sourced from local farms and markets wherever possible. Looking around the bar, I took the time to notice the bar, furniture and fixtures which were all handcrafted by local wood and metal worker Keith Kocher (Lightstreet Custom Woodworking). I also observed the unique tap handles carved and forged by local artist/sculptor J. Mark Irvin (Irving Sculpture Studio). Even the plates, bowls and beer mugs have been hand made by local potter Mike Hart (M. Hart Pottery). While it is easy to overlook, this attention to detail reflects the brewery's committment to both serve and support the local community.

We arrived around 6:30 in the evening. When I visited several months earlier, the bar was full and there was a thirty minute wait for a table. Well, the bar was full and there was a thirty minute wait again on my second visit (a waiting list often indicates good beverages, food and service). Business is obviously strong at the Old Forge. I did not mind the wait at all as it gave me time to enjoy the bar and a beer before dinner. For my first beer I tried a T-Rider Pale Ale. The T-Rider was very smooth and not too hoppy. It was a very pleasurable pale ale, perfect for a late spring evening. After we were directed to our seats, we settled in for appetizers and dinner. At the table , I sipped an Endless Summer Ale. I enjoyed this beer as well. I believe that it may be the lightest beer crafted at the brewery. For appetizers, I enjoyed a cup of beer chili. The chili contained tender beef chunks and spicy sausage cooked in beer and spices. It was delicious! The other folks at my table also sampled the black bean hummus and homemade soft pretzels. I highly recommend any of these appetizers. For dinner, I enjoyed a "Big Jerk" chicken sandwich. The sandwich contained ale-marinated chicken grilled with spicy pub-made Jamaican jerk seasoning, crisp lettuce, tomatoes, red onion and parsley mayo on a locally made fresh herb-roll. Again, the sandwich was delicious. And, last but not least, our service was excellent.

All in all, I had a great experience on my second visit to the Old Forge Brewing Company. What makes the Old Forge unique is its commitment to locally produced food and hand-crafted products. So, drive to Danville, take a downtown stroll and enjoy local goodness at its best.

No comments: